Tuesday, December 2, 2014

A little about The Mormon Salsera!


I’ve been salsa dancing for almost two years and the experience has been life changing! I’ve made so many new friends and have been accomplishing things I never even thought I’d try. Since I started taking lessons, I have been going out to dance clubs pretty consistently and I’m currently training with a ladies styling and technique group.
As with every dancer, I have my own set of challenges that I’ve faced and will keep facing. I’m plus size, so I have to deal with my own physical limitations and I am constantly disproving people that look down on me because of my weight. I’m also a Mormon and I want to be a good representative of my church.I thought I should collect my thoughts on the experiences I’ve had as a new dancer, a plus sized girl, and a Mormon, in case anyone can benefit from it. There are great blogs out there about being overweight, so I’m going to focus more on being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon). 


How I got started in Salsa


Technically I tried ballroom dancing when I was in high school but it was short lived. The lessons were expensive and I didn’t have anyone to dance with.

A couple years ago I was trying to find a fun way to get exercise but had a hard time finding a sport that I could start as an adult. I had taken a self-defense class before and while looking online I ran across some boxing classes. Boxing is definitely a workout! And even though I was enjoying it, it was too intense for me. I was seeing spots in class and it was too physically demanding. So I started searching for something else.

Meanwhile, a cute guy at church invited me to go salsa dancing with a group. Even though the guy ended up being a dud, I loved the dancing. The whole environment was exciting!

In April 2013 I found a website saying that beginner salsa classes were starting the next day. I decided to take the plunge and sign up. The lessons were paid for, there was no turning back! And almost two years later, I’m still doing it.


Topics I’d like to cover

Clothing for social dancing and performances
Dance shoes
Being a perfectionist
Learning to dance On2
Being a plus size dancer
Being healthy…well, healthier
Performing
Dancing on Sundays
Opportunities to talk about church
Inspiration
What is Mormonism?

No comments:

Post a Comment